“Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations” Isaiah 42:1
This is Jesus’ mandate – to bring forth justice to the nations. Justice is seeing what is wrong made right and that decision is made by the one who judges. Jesus is the Righteous Judge who will bring forth justice and righteousness in the earth. As we read the scriptures we see over and over again that God’s desire is for righteousness and justice and we also see His heart for the poor and oppressed. This is the good news of the gospel.
In Luke 18 Jesus “told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.” At the end of the parable Jesus assured us of the outcome.
“And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily.”
As we see the oppressed being rescued, as we see politicians and the media beginning to respond to the cry of those who are being exploited, let’s not grow weary but continue to cry out to the One who is bringing justice for the oppressed in response to our prayers.
PRAY FOR EFN
Pray for EFN partners as we have the opportunity to inspire and equip the Church to become a place of welcome, restoration and encouragement for those caught up in the darkness of prostitution, other sexual exploitation and all kinds of human trafficking.
PRAY FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM / FOR OUR SOCIO-POLITICAL CONTEXT
Praise God for an EU funded project to provide resources and training for medical professionals to spot and respond to human trafficking, cooperating well with the police. Pray that this will result in doctors and nurses being able to help in the release of victims. http://www.joint-efforts.org/en/the-project/
COUNTRY IN FOCUS: CYPRUS
Cyprus is in many ways a country in change, after last year’s economic crisis the situation for people in desperate situations are even more desperate. This means that more people are vulnerable to exploitation and that those already exploited will find it harder to get necessary help.
Cyprus is both a country of transit and of destination when it comes to trafficking. There are both trafficking for domestic work and for sexual exploitation. Laws and visas relating to domestic work in Cyprus are used to exploit mainly non-European workers, while the largest group that are trafficked for sexual exploitation are women from Eastern Europe. In the midst of this time of hardship our new Christian National Network Against Human Trafficking has been formed. We are small organizations in a small country, but together we want to work for a big change.
- Please pray that, as House of Hope aims to involve more churches on the island in prayer for the issue of human trafficking, God would raise up intercessors on the island and beyond who have a desire to see things change.
- Pray for the anti-trafficking police and social welfare as they work with victims in the initial stages. Pray that they will get more training and time so they can meet the victims with compassion and understanding.
- Pray for good relationships between the members of our new network and the officials and others working in this field. Our work can sometimes be very dependent on being accepted by social welfare and other officials.
- Pray that God will call more workers and volunteers to the work so we are able to do what He calls us to. There are new expansions planned of our work, such as outreach and a half-way house, we need more volunteers for that, but we also need more hands in the work we are already doing.
- Pray particularly for the new half way home that will open in Limassol by the end of April.
YOUR OWN NATION
Take time to also pray for your own nation, try to gather together with others and share what is on your heart for your nation and your ministries/churches and hear what God is saying to you. Do let us know any answers to prayer so we can rejoice together. Maybe you could be our country in focus in future months. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your praise reports and if you would like to be a future country in focus.